[English] Gifted and Talented Education

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Feb 15 13:05:13 EST 2008

To my mind, the needs of Gifted and Talented students are as important to
be recognized in schools as for any other grouping of Australian students,
simply from a social justice perspective. And Australian schools should no
longer let our gifted kids sink or swim in the school environment. We need
their special abilities now more then ever. Queensland appears to be doing
very well in terms of catering for our G & T kids. What about other States?

> Subject:  Framework for Gifted Education and the Gifted
>            and Talented Students Action Plan 2008-2010
> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:09:14 +1000
> From: Kathleen Teasdale <Kathleen.TEASDALE at DETA.QLD.GOV.AU>
> To: Gifted and Talented Discussion List <GIFTED at DISCUSSIONS.EQ.EDU.AU>

Hi Everyone

In 2006, the Queensland government announced an increase in funding to
provide stronger support for teachers working with gifted students.

The funding is provided to regions to deliver quality professional
development for teachers and provide student support programs.  This
increased funding is in line with the Smart State philosophy and support
for the state’s best and brightest students.

Funding for Gifted Education has between based on consideration of the
relationship between the recommendations of the federal government
October, 2001 Senate Inquiry and those of a 2002 review of the policy The
Education of Gifted Students in Queensland Schools.

 Education Queensland is currently moving towards making gifted education
even more accessible. The department’s vision for students who are gifted
is that they feel valued in a learning environment which both challenges
and supports them to pursue excellence and develops in them a passion for
lifelong learning.

 Education Queensland has developed a three year action plan to ensure
high quality, accountable delivery and statewide coordination of Gifted
Education. This plan specifies indicators, guidelines and timelines so
that regions will have a coordinated model for program delivery.

Implementation targets have been developed for regions which focus on five
key strategies in the action plan. The plan also allows regions the
flexibility to address geographical differences.

 Regions receive similar funding and are best placed to provide specific
information regarding gifted programs. All of the education regions have
flexibility to develop and deliver gifted education programs tailored to
meet specific geographical complexities and student population.

The Framework for Gifted Education, released in 2004, and the Gifted
Education Action Plan are available at <www.learningplace.com.au/en/g&t>

Regards

Kath.

Kathleen Teasdale | Principal Education Officer (Gifted Education)
Curriculum Division | Department of Education, Training and the Arts
Floor 9 | Education House | 30 Mary Street | Brisbane Qld 4000
PO Box 15033 | City East Qld 4002  kathleen.teasdale at deta.qld.gov.au|
--

Cheers Qld,
Stephen Loosley