[English] Re: Social networking for 10-13 year olds?

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Dec 31 01:57:36 EST 2008

Hi all,

An excellent email, from cluefull colleagues .. may be of assistance:

> From:   "Chris Betcher" <chris at betcher.org>
> To:  <oz-teachers at rite.ed.qut.edu.au>
> Date:   Tue, 30 Dec 2008 08:59:53 -0500
>
> Subject:  Re: [Oz-teachers] Social networking for 10-13 year olds?

I'm looking to set up a Ning (www.ning.com) for our new Year 6 students.

It's a hosted, enclosed social networking site that does everything the
facebooks and myspaces do, except we can manage the overall environment.

We KNOW that most of these students will be members of the bigger social
sites over the next few years (if they're not already) and we are working
on the idea that we need to give them a somewhat structured and
supervised environment to play in before they set themselves loose in the
big global social networks.

I just finished reading Clay Shirky's excellent book 'Here Comes
Everybody' which will explain everything you could possibly want to know
about social networks and tools.

In the last chapter, he talks about the promise, the tool and the
bargain .. worth reading in full, but essentially, each of these social
environments needs to offer a promise (this is what it can offer), a tool
(this is a way to make the promise happen) and a bargain (these are the
rules we will agree on as we use this tool to obtain the promise it
offers).   Some tools have a bargain that is very loose (do whatever you
want in here) and others have a more defined bargain (you can only play
here if you play nice, respect others and do the right things)...  it's
worth reading the whole thing as I'm not doing it justice.

The promise is that the school will provide a safe, fun social networking
environmenet to play in that has all the same sorts of things that they
might get from Facebook or Myspace.  I know that Ning is a tool that can
deliver on this promise...

But I see the chance to set up a Ning as a good way to establish
a "bargain"...  or what i would call a culture.  In a managed environment
like a Ning, our bargain that we will offer to the studennts will be
something like "you are free to come in here and use this tool to express
yourself and be creative and be social, but we expect you to do the right
thing, respect others' rights, learn what is apropriate and
inappropriate.  We expect you to treat people the same way you would be
expect to be treated yourself, both online and offline. We expect you to
learn what online behaviours are safe, responsible and acceptable, and to
work within those guidlelines If you cannot or will not act responsibly
online then your opportunities to participate will be limited or even
removed."

Our hope is that after a year of being part of an active, interesting
online social environment like our year 6 Ning, the students will take
that learning and experience and hopefully apply it in other social
situations, both online and offlline.

chris