[English] Texas schools

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun Aug 17 15:15:11 EST 2008

Simon writes,

And, a teacher's gun is now fine in Harrold, USA. http://harroldisd.net/

--
North Texas school district will let teachers carry guns

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/5945430.html
Associated Press Aug. 15, 2008, 4:27PM

HARROLD, Texas — A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the
nation to allow teachers and staff to pack guns for protection when
classes begin later this month, a newspaper reported.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district
policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to
deter and protect against school shootings ..

Superintendent David Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive
from the sheriff's office, leaving students & teachers without protection.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's
when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a
group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a
dog," Thweatt said in Friday's edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram..

Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School
Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a
policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises
districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first
district with such a policy.

The 110-student district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the
eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.
--

Cheers people
Stephen Loosley