[English] How to market English Language

WHITBY, Linda lwhitby at whitefriars.vic.edu.au
Thu Aug 7 10:22:36 EST 2008

I agree with the points made by the others - it's certainly not the easier subject and requires a lot of work from both the teacher and student.

Another approach you can use is that it allows students to develop an understanding of the English language in context which can assist kids in the 'real world'.  Students with an interest in journalism etc gain a great deal from the subject - especially if they combine it with English.  The students also tend to like that they can apply it to everyday life.

At present, there are very few new resources for the subject.  Many people are still using the Heinemann textbooks which were published in 2001 and correlate with the old study design.  The Macmillain CD ROM is good, but needs editing too. You may need to have this figured out for Curriculum, so best to be in the know about what's out there.  There's been talk of a new textbook now for 3 years.

Good Luck

Linda Whitby