[English] fwd: running a lunchtime bookclub

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Aug 4 13:10:05 EST 2008

From:   "V. Yurisich" <vyurisich at wbc.wa.edu.au>
Date:   Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:32:18 +0800
Subject:  .. running a lunchtime bookclub

Hi, I have had many responses to my request for ideas re running a
lunchtime bookclub for secondary students. Thanks, they have been really
helpful.

Below are all the responses and my own term programme (with especial
thanks to Karen .. ) which I have just made up - I was thrilled to
get 13 students turn up for our first meeting - a great group of boys
and girls from years 8 - 11. Will keep you posted.

Virginia Yurisich (Winthrop and Somerville Baptist Colleges Library)

--
Somerville Book Club, Term 3 2008

Week 3

4 Aug

*You Must read this!*

Tell us about a book/s which you think everyone should read -- one you
love -- inspirational, hilarious, true or fiction, what should we all be
reading? We will compile a list from this of 'The bookclubs fave reads'
for other students to use.

Week 4

11 Aug

*Olympomania!*

Some great sport fiction and non-fiction will be discussed and read,
plus a general yarn about the Olympics and watching some of it on the
big screen.

Week 5

18 Aug

*Genre wars!*

There is no doubt in my mind that fantasy is the best genre -- come
along, defend your own favourite genre and prove me wrong!!

Week 6

25 Aug

*Let's read...*

A time of quiet reflection, and reading while we enjoy a milo -- share
about something great you've been reading if you like, or just snuggle
up with a book.

Week 7

3 Sep

*Spring *

Read a new author before you come along and tell us what your opinion is
-- will you read any more books by them? Why /why not?

Week 8

10 Sep

*Reading** and the net...*

This week we are going on the net and looking at some great websites and
blogs -- you will be given a list in week 7 so you can play with them at
home, and enjoy sharing them and contributing to some in this session.

Week 9

11 Sep

*WAYRBA *

Which are the winners??? -- You decide! We will discuss which ones we
think should win and why. Hopefully look at the winners -- if they have
been announced.

Week 10

18 Sep

*Holiday** reading...*

We will get first dibs on some brand new books you might want to read
over the holidays, and recommend some to each other.

* *

there is some great resources online if i remember....i did a search on
Literature Circles.
http://www.lauracandler.com/litlessons.htm is one of them.you may be
able to suit to older chn.

 I do a lot of Lit circles and you really  have to adapt strategies to
the particular group and it takes a while to 'build the culture'.
we do a bit of ...own books AND reading same book.

Diane Lester
Library & Information Services
Caulfield Grammar School Malvern Campus
5 Willoby Ave  Glen Iris     3146

phone: 03 9885 5995

i Virginia

I run a book club for Year 9 & 10 students (we have 12 students).  We
meet each week and discuss different topics.  I have attached the
timetable for Terms 1 & 2.  The girls did pay a fee (we are an
independent girls school so this makes a bit easier to do that kind of
thing).  The money covers all excursions, food and special events.  I
know that some people have issues with charging students for something
that encourages reading but it is merely about cost recovery.  If
students did not want to pay or were unable, we would work out other
activities along the same theme.

We decided that asking everyone to read the same book was going to be
difficult and costly. Difficult because we have reading interests and
abilities ranging from Stormbreaker to Les Miserables.

Hope this helps

Karen

Hi,
 I ran one at Swan View many years ago. I made it like a Club cos there was
few boys - more than the girls - with a logo and the name on the Membership
Card - which in our case was the Black Hand Gang cos that was the book we
read first. Started off with a book of that title recommended by me and
then
it became their own choice with a small book talk recommendation by me. Try
to keep it informal and chatty - no hard work with it like having them give
book talks. Nothing ruins a book more than HAVING to do WORK about it. They
can give chatty type recommendations or brickbats on the books.
You can give them a few library privileges like extra books loans etc.

Best wishes
Kate

Hi Virginia

I have run a couple of bookclubs.

I really enjoyed my last school, which I ran at lunchtime once a week.  It
was called
books 'n biscuits, and I bought a couple of packets of biscuits (was a
great lure for all
the kids - we had heaps of boys) for the meeting.  We talked about
ANYTHING they had read.
I used to promote several of the 'new' books.. and often allowed them to
have 'first
choice' of new items into the library - they thought that was unreal. I
used to take
photos each week and put them up in the library - very popular!

It was a great way to promote graphic novels, non-fiction etc.

At PC I run the book club after school on an afternoon for 1 hour.  We
tend to talk about
anything.  I tend to play games with them - we have made up different
games and the girls
love this.

Once a term we get together with another school and we all read the SAME
book. We are
hiring some books through a company called Booktalk - they charge $5.00 a
book.  This
allows us to have a conversation about the book.

I hope this gives you a few ideas.

Brenda

Why dont you get the kids to run it?
Students bring their lunch and current book and share round the group,
make suggestions and take on shadowing the CBC Book of the Year
shortlist.  The group also organise our own awards and compare these
with the CBC results.  Always interesting.
They organise the morning tea too.  Its bigger than Ben Hur and the
kids love doing it.  I note that we keep our book club members for
longer - several are in Yr 11.

Get a feel for it from our library website, chhose the blog and use
the book club tag.

Jan

Jan Radford
TL @ Delany College
Granville
http://delanylibrary.com

Hi there
I have a book club which meets once a week and we just talk about books
in general, I didn't want it to be like another English class. I also
talk to them about new books we have and they are the first to borrow
them. I also take them to literary events which they love and we have a
good relationship with the local library and get invited to events
there.
Cheers, Heather

Hello Virginia

I had a book club running here last year at the urging of a few
students. As we don't have multiple copies of the books we weren't able
to all read the same book. What it really turned into was each student
telling the others about their favourite books and authors. Most of the
kids who came were ones who didn't really socialize well so it was great
to see them interacting with each other so enthusiastically.

We had up to 12 students at a time. They were keen to get it going again
this year too but I found that after the first couple of times they
weren't really turning up so I didn't think it was worth my time.

Best of luck with it. I would be really interested to hear of any other
replies that you get.

Regards Sue

Hi there,
We just ask them to chat about what book they are presently reading, who
they would
recommend it to and why? I also show them the new books, including picture
books, that we
have bought each week and ask them for suggestions for other purchases.
They always get
preference on the new books. We also have one of the English teachers with
us which is
really great. We have about 20 students in the club ranging from 13-18
years. We are
running a bookfair for Bookweek and we will take them to our bookstore to
help select
titles. They are also involved in our literary breakfast and so I have
asked all of them
to read at least one of the novels by James Moloney so that they can ask
appropriate
questions of him when he comes. The conversation is never lacking and much
fun is had by
all. Cheers

Dajo Finlayson
Head of Library
Moreton Bay College  QLD
450 Wondall Road
Manly West  4178
Ph 07 33908555 ext 363
Ph 07 32499363
Fax 07 33908919
email dfinlayson at mbc.qld.edu.au

Please check out my KOOBs blog at
http://koobians.blogspot.com/ - cos "they do know BOOKs backwards"
I have been lucky enough to work at this fab school this year. These KOOBs
got together when I asked some readers (vocarious and smart) to come when I
was introducing some new books. That really is all it took, along with a
blog intro. Now I probably would think edublogs might be the way to go.
Time
will tell - or, somehow I think the 12-15 yr olds KOOBs will tell me what
they want. YAY
e.g. going to Angus and Robertson next MON to get the "Breaking Dawn" 4th
of
the Twilight series.  They are making T - shirts about the book with our
design teacher, ringing book stores, writing reviews, blogging away with
even the classics .
I love them - they are great readers and not afraid to say so. I really
recommend using blogs to reinforce, spread and enjoy web 2.0
My blog is at http://librarianqueen.blogspot.com/
Any ideas welcomed-
Karen
Marryatville HS
08 3048434

I ran a bookclub with my PEAC students last year and they reviewed in
groups the CBC book
of the year short list. They enjoyes writing the reviews which they also
submitted online
before the shortlist and finalist announcements cand we also asked
Margaret Robson-Kett
who kindly came along to speak (previous CBC Book judge and State Library
Better
Beginnings Librarian) and it was a huge success - the students enjoyed the
weekly
interaction immensly. Good luck with setting up yours - the online
national interaction
with the Junior Judges Project also enhanced their involvement.
Cheers
- Megan O&#39;Connor
Education Officer - Fremantle Maritime Museum and PEAC Teacher

Hi Virginia

I run a book club for Year 9 & 10 students (we have 12 students).  We
meet each week and discuss different topics.  I have attached the
timetable for Terms 1 & 2.  The girls did pay a fee (we are an
independent girls school so this makes a bit easier to do that kind of
thing).  The money covers all excursions, food and special events.  I
know that some people have issues with charging students for something
that encourages reading but it is merely about cost recovery.  If
students did not want to pay or were unable, we would work out other
activities along the same theme.

We decided that asking everyone to read the same book was going to be
difficult and costly. Difficult because we have reading interests and
abilities ranging from Stormbreaker to Les Miserables.

Hope this helps

Karen

*Year 9 & 10 Literature Club Program*

*Term 2, 2008*

Week 2

Meeting

*Who's Reading What and Why?*

In our first meeting for the term, we will look at what is planned for
this term and chat about the books we read during the holidays.

Week 3

Meeting

*Investigate the Authors*

Who are Michael Gerard Bauer, Tim Flannery and D.M. Cornish?  We examine
their writing, their lives and what inspires them.  Have you read their
books?  Share your opinion! Everyone else - prepare to borrow!

Week 4

Excursion -- Tuesday

20^th May

*Sydney** Writers Festival*

Today, we have the awesome opportunity to hear Michael Gerard Bauer, Tim
Flannery and D.M. Cornish talk about their work. We depart school at 9am
and return at 12.30pm.  The presentations will take place at the
Riverside Theatres as part of the Sydney Writer's Festival.**

Week 5

Meeting

*CBC Award Books*

Find out what made it on to the CBCA Book of the Year Awards Shortlist.
Take up the challenge to read all of the books in the Older Reader
category.  Which book do you think should win?

Week 6

Meeting

*FanFiction.Net*

What is Fan Fiction?  Have you ever written any?  Bring along the best
(and worst) examples of Fan Fiction you've read.

Week 7

Line Debate

*Are books gender biased?*

Is there such a thing as a "boy book"?  Do girls read action novels? Do
boys read 'Twilight' and 'The Princess Diaries?  Do you think publishers
present books with a gender bias? Come prepared to convince others of
your argument.

Week 8

Meeting

*Prepare yourselves for The 1st Round of the Tara Factor*

In teams of two or three you will answer questions on your favourite
book or author and compete for the glory of The Reader's Cup!* *

Week 9

Meeting

*Holidays are here!*

Today is the perfect opportunity to recommend the perfect book for
reading with a doona and hot chocolate.  Each member is asked to present
a brief review of their favourite winter holiday reads.  Make sure you
have a copy of the book to display.

/Hot chocolate supplied.  Bring your own blanket!/

Year 9 & 10 Literature Club Program

Term 1, 2008

Week 3

Meeting

*Who's Reading What and Why?*

In our first meeting for the year, we will look at what is planned for
this term and chat about the books we read during the holidays.

Week 4

Meeting

*Get Blogged*

With a blog created every half a second (seriously!) there has to be
some great literature blogs out there.  Come along with your own
recommendations or be prepared to search the Web and create a Lit Club
Best Blogs of 2008 list.  We'll also check out the Library Blog and post
some reviews of your favourite books.

Week 5

Meeting

*You MUST read this...*

Which books would you recommend that everyone just HAS to read?  This
week we share which books changed our life, inspired us to read further
or just plain entertained us so much we couldn't put it down.  We'll
compile a list for publication so that others can be similarly enthralled!

Week 6

Author Chat

*Juliet Marillier -- Online Chat*

Make sure you are on time today and have your typing fingers ready!  We
will be chatting via Moodle to Perth author, Juliet Marillier.  Juliet
is the author of many fantasy novels with strong female characters --
make sure you read them before the chat!

Week 7

Movie Night

*Gold Class - Tara style.  *

Pizza, icecream and of course, a movie that is /almost/ as good as the
book.

Week 8

Meeting

*Thriller versus Fantasy.  Science Fiction versus Humour.  **What is
your favourite genre?*

Friendships may be tested - be prepared to vigorously defend your
choice.  Which genre will win!

Week 9

No Meeting

*No Meeting*

No meeting this week.  Visit your favourite literature websites to
create a wishlist for our delivery from The Children's Bookshop.

Week 10

Book Buying Event

*Get ready for a Shopping Spree like no other.*

Paul McDonald, the owner of The Children's Bookshop, will visit the
library this afternoon, bringing with him boxes of books and an expert
knowledge of the latest fiction.  You will be given a budget, an hour
and free reign as to what you buy for the library.

/This is an after school event.  There will be no meeting today at
lunch.  Why don't you take the opportunity to browse the library shelves
and make use of your additional borrowing rights!/

Week 11

Meeting

*Holidays are here!*

Today is the perfect opportunity to recommend some great reads to
everyone at Lit Club.  Each member is asked to present a brief review of
their favourite holiday reads.  Make sure you have a copy of the book
from the library so that people can borrow it after being inspired by
your wonderful words.

 --

Cheers Virginia
Stephen Loosley