[English] Fwd: New direction in YA Literature

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Jul 5 12:38:30 EST 2007

At 05:30 AM 5/07/2007, Susanne Gervay wrote:

One constant issue in oz-teachers is technology and multi media, which is
the way of the future. The English syllabuses are stressing integrating
and crossing mediums, as well as crossing into varied subjects to make
learning a whole experience.

Some authors have ventured into multi-media. Libby Hathorn is an author
who has successfully embraced this area. There is an increasing
popularity of MANGA and interactive computer games and stories, the
visual.

My YA book That’s Why I Wrote This Song is taking a new direction uniting
lyrics, music and film within the book.

I wrote the book about four girls connected through music as they search
for identity. My daughter Tory wrote the rock songs that drive character,
theme and the narrative. A young film graduate produced the 3 minute
video clip for 'Psycho Dad' (Tory's song). The music, lyrics, film script
are integral to the book connecting Music, IT, literature, Art.

Readers will be able to download freely the rock songs and video clip
from my website - www.sgervay.com and the publisher website:
www.harpercollins.com.au and U-tube, from 1st August.

So readers can get into literature through the music, film or text.

However for literature to be successful, it has to come from an authentic
place. Tory and I collaborated as mother and daughter on this book,
working together on our relationship in a project which we're passionate
about.

It's going to be launched at BONDI Pavilion Theatre on Tuesday 31st July
at 6.30 p.m. Invitations are limited and entry is only through the guest
list, but if any of you are in Sydney, please email me off-line and I'll
organise an invitation.

You can hear on ABC National radio at 5.55 p.m. on Monday 30th July - the
journey of writing 'That's Why I Wrote This Song'.

Susanne Gervay
www.sgervay.com
email: gervays at bigpond.com

www.hughendenhotel.com.au