[English] RE: new English course

Mary Mason mary.mason at geelongcollege.vic.edu.au
Thu Jan 18 13:28:00 EST 2007

I don't think Lopez has to worry. The mind numbing assessment process of
the assessment system at VCE removes any edginess to the discussion in a
classroom!

Mary

>>> brennanhayes at netspace.net.au 18/01/2007 12:09 pm >>>
I've attached a copy of the  full version of the Mark Lopez article
Prue
referred to. A cut and paste version of it appeared in The Oz. On the
one
hand a cause of much merriment - Bruce Dawe was amused -  on the other
worry since Lopez was one of the academics invited to the History
summit by
Julie Bishop.

Terry Hayes

On 18/1/07 11:06 AM, "gillpm at mlc.vic.edu.au" <gillpm at mlc.vic.edu.au>
wrote:

> Oh dear, I should have written hear hear! I just reread my own
message. Did
> you read the article in the Australian by Mark Lopez on Tues about
left wing
> bias in Victorian english curriculum. It's an interesting one to do
with
> students. My goodness, it's raining.
> Prue

> Does anyone out there know when we will have access to the sample
Year 12
> English paper for 2008? Whilst I don't want the Y12 paper to drive
what we are
> doing in Year 11, a bit more direction would be welcome, VCE is meant
to be a
> two year program!
>
>  (It does strike me as odd -- to say the very least -- that the Study
Design
> and assessment processes should be seen as two separate entities
when, from my
> viewpoint, good teaching demands that a course should be designed
knowing what
> you are teaching, why you are teaching it AND how you will assess it,
in one
> integrated process!)
>
> I'd also be interested to hear about the processes others are
implementing and
> the kinds of decisions you are making to structure the new course.
>
> Gail

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error then please notify the sender immediately.  The contents represent the views or opinions of the author only and are not necessarily made on behalf of the School.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses; the School does not accept liability for any damage caused by a transmitted virus.