[English] controversial Australian classics

Stephen Loosley stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Jan 11 18:00:28 EST 2007

Hi Anne and all,

Regarding www.curriki.org appealing for primary and secondary
school assignments, projects and resources etc to share with the
world (along with free personal blog-space, community space etc)

At 11:05 AM 11/01/2007, Anne wrote:

> Is it free Stephen? Perhaps I misread it because I did read
> with interest your post about it. But when I went to the site it
> seemed to me that I would have to pay to get all of the services.

Ah .. good question .. I've joined and at no time has any request at all
been made for payment, so though i can't be 100% sure re long term
it's certainly been completely free and a great resource so far anyway.

Regarding controversial Australian classics, one does come to mind,
mainly because i spied a battered copy being borrowed from a local
library just before the holidays. When published, it was 'shocking' ...

"Monkey Grip" by Helen Garner.

Dustjacket synopsis: 'Smack habit, love habit - what's the difference?
Both can kill you.' Nora's addiction is romantic love; Javo's is drugs."

Quotes:

"Elegant and wry" - New Yorker

"Monkey Grip brings home the fact that there are an overwhelming number of alternatives open to us all in today's world, and that these do not necessarily make life easier." - Sydney Morning Herald

"It's a well-written book, tense and wry and funny, with places and moods conveyed with low-key lyricism." - Cleo

"One has to confess it's the sort of book you can't put down" - Melbourne Herald

The novel was adapted for the screen from a screen play Helen Garner and Ken Cameron, directed by Ken Cameron and featured Noni Hazlehurst, Colin Friels and Harold Hopkins.

Cheers, Anne,
Stephen Loosley
Victoria, Australia
.