[English] controversial Australian classics

Margaret Zeegers m.zeegers at ballarat.edu.au
Wed Jan 10 16:01:46 EST 2007

I am not sure what level you are looking for, but what about 'Wake in Fright'?
mz

Dr Margaret Zeegers
Senior Lecturer
School of Education
University of Ballarat
University Drive
Mt Helen
Victoria
Australia, 3363

Ph: + 61 3 5327 9327
Fax: + 61 3 5327 9717
email: m.zeegers at ballarat.edu.au

>>> "Baird, Anne P" <baird.anne.p at edumail.vic.gov.au> 01/10/07 2:48 PM >>>
This is a little bit of an unusual request but there is a very valid reason for asking I assure you.
Can anyone suggest an Australian classic book that would still be considered a little controversial if studied at a school because of it’s content.
The equivalent in the US for example might be something like Huckleberry Finn or To Kill a Mockingbird (although I don’t know how you would think of them as being controversial really- perhaps they’re a little more conservative in the US SYMBOL 74 \f "Wingdings" \s 10 )
I was thinking of Marking Time by John Doyle but it’s maybe not a classic and may not be well known. I need something that most Aussies would have heard of but may have some content or issues that could be contentious enough for some parents to get upset about.

The learning task I want to design is a problem where students would have to decide whether a book should be banned or not in a school.

Hope someone can help
Thanks
Anne

Anne Baird
Leading Schools Manager
Wedderburn College
Hospital St
Wedderburn 3518
School 03 54943011 Mobile 0417 340276 Home 03 54911540
My LSF Blog  http://wedderburn-college.blogspot.com/
My Photos   http://www.flickr.com/photos/anne_loves_pink/
My weblinks  http://del.icio.us/annieb3525
Our Wedderburn wiki