[English] controversial Australian classics

Baird, Anne P baird.anne.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Jan 10 14:48:22 EST 2007

This is a little bit of an unusual request but there is a very valid reason=
 for asking I assure you.
Can anyone suggest an Australian classic book that would still be considered=
 a little controversial if studied at a school because of it=92s content.
The equivalent in the US for example might be something like Huckleberry Fin=
n or To Kill a Mockingbird (although I don=92t know how you would think of t=
hem as being controversial really- perhaps they=92re a little more conservat=
ive in the US SYMBOL 74 \f "Wingdings" \s 10 )
I was thinking of Marking Time by John Doyle but it=92s maybe not a classic=
 and may not be well known. I need something that most Aussies would have he=
ard of but may have some content or issues that could be contentious enough=
 for some parents to get upset about.

The learning task I want to design is a problem where students would have to=
 decide whether a book should be banned or not in a school.

Hope someone can help
Thanks
Anne

Anne Baird
Leading Schools Manager
Wedderburn College
Hospital St
Wedderburn 3518
School 03 54943011 Mobile 0417 340276 Home 03 54911540
My LSF Blog  http://wedderburn-college.blogspot.com/
My Photos   http://www.flickr.com/photos/anne_loves_pink/
My weblinks  http://del.icio.us/annieb3525
Our Wedderburn wiki
http://teaching-with-technology.wikispaces.com/

29 PM

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received=
 in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using=
 attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, dam=
age or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, r=
esulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liabi=
lity is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations=
 or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessari=
ly those of the Department of Education.