[English] US Grades Rise, but Reading Skills Do Not

Caruso, Greta Caruso.G at kingswoodcollege.vic.edu.au
Mon Feb 26 07:59:48 EST 2007

Classroom drama
Play set in HS gets an A from teachers

BY CARRIE MELAGODAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
It's an unlikely way for city teachers to unwind - watching a play about
impoverished students struggling to learn in a crumbling Bronx
classroom. But night after night, teachers fill the audience at the
Barrow Street Theater in Greenwich Village for Nilaja Sun's one-woman
show, "No Child ...."
They howl at her depiction of an earnest but clueless new teacher who
can't control her class in a fictitious Bronx high school. They snicker
at the school's domineering principal. And some weep when a student
disappears from class after his brother's murder. "It was astounding. I
was tearing up throughout the show," said Darnelle Pierre-Louis, 27, a
teacher at Public School 179 in the Bronx and one of about a dozen
educators who saw the play on a recent Wednesday night. "So much of it
resonated with me." The word-of-mouth popularity of "No Child ...," so
strong that theaters in other large cities have shown interest, has
attracted Schools Chancellor Joel Klein and other high-ranking education
administrators - much to the surpise of the playwright.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/482787p-406388c.html

Comments on this an other exciting adventures at
deliciouswhenfried.blogspot.com
note no www
Greta