[English] (Off-topic) A VIT initiative

brennanhayes brennanhayes at netspace.net.au
Wed Feb 14 06:12:13 EST 2007

Well I would query whether a discussion of VIT is 'off topic' on an English
list. The VIT registration renewal process is about professional learning,
and my point all along has been that 'renewal' does not make sense unless we
as an English teaching profession are prepared to debate what it is in the
teaching of English that needs to be reviewed, renewed and/or changed   To
give an example. I attended a VATE inservice in I think 2001 or 2002 where
Sarah Culican and Marie Emmett talked to the group about the Luke-Freebody
four resources model of literacy acquisition and use. Very few in the
audience had heard of it. There has been  since then I suspect a quantum
leap in the number of English teachers who not only know about the model but
utilise it in their practice. Our knowledge base of what constitutes English
and English teaching changes over time. I would assume too that the taking
VELS  seriously will call for a pedagogical seachange of sorts.  For
example, how many of us as yet  understand the full implications of 'ICT for
visualised thinking', from its theoretical underpinnings or its practical
applications? I hope the renewal process period 2008-13 will give us a
framework and impetus to explore this and other ideas, and to embed a
consciousness of the need for such exploration in the profession as a whole
not only those active members who belong to  professional teaching
associations like VATE or contribute to list discussions.

Terry Hayes