[English] Howard launches Donnelly

brennanhayes brennanhayes at netspace.net.au
Tue Feb 13 05:19:48 EST 2007

Hello Lyle

Probably  wont be able to convince you and perhaps we'd better stop clogging
up the English discussion list with VIT matters but a couple of points

1. sorry that your friends have found VT's registration and or/discipline
procedures 'insulting and Kafkaesque'. From the inside they seem rigorous
and punctilious to a fault, and designed to protect the status of the
profession by addressing issues of qualifications, standards, fitness and
competence. And, more importantly controlled by teachers, not imposed by
bureaucrats. Which is the point I guess of being willing to pay for the
Institute as a guarantee of some independence.

2. The real issue concerning the Institute at moment is how and when to
'promote' the profession. What are professional matters which are VIT's
concern? What are industrial ones which are appropriately union concerns?
What are matters affecting the profession and what are matters affecting
individual teachers or particular sectors? What are matters affecting
individual teachers (the Orbost case)? It can't be seen to be going off pop
about every issue because they are demarcation lines that determine who
purports to speak for teachers, and, as a statutory body, rules that govern
its operations and jurisdiction, unlike the AMA which is more like the
doctors' union.

3. The renewal issue is vital because it signals to all teachers that
professionalism requires it. It reinforces that professional learning is not
optional for people like us who like to belong to professional teaching
associations like VATE but a fact of the profession that keeps it vital and
relevant. What is important for active professional teaching association
members like yourself is to make sure that the process is meaningful and not
just a rubber stamping of things, a chance to really examine the nature of
the discipline and the changes influencing it, and the expectations
therefore of teachers teaching it.  God knows we are going to need a strong
voice from the profession abut what it stands for in the current political
climate.

4. Finally the Newsletter. I realise it is to some people like a red rag to
a bull. To me it's just an information conduit, not a propaganda sheet. It
doesn't promote the Institute though it describes what it's been doing in
rather prosaic ways. If it promotes anything it's the work of individual
teachers. Though I agree with Stephen that an email list would be a better
way of getting info directly to teachers.

Regards

Terry