[English] Howard launches Donnelly

Stephen Loosley stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Feb 9 20:37:24 EST 2007

Hi all,

It's interesting that when interviewed on Radio National today,
the writer, Donnelly, was at pains to speedily back away from
suggestions of a National Curriculum, (Quote: "one size does
not fit all"). However he was strong about his claims that OBE
(Outcomes Based Education) instead of proscribed Academic
Curriculums is a disaster for Aussie education, and he asserts
that several States are now backing away from, "Outcomes Ed"
apparently because of the difficulty / effort in reporting outcomes.

And you know from 32 years with the Ed Dpt, I must say that one
tends to agree with him. It's much easier to teach to a curriculum
and report thereby, rather than also have to set curriculum guided
by complex lists of hoped-for outcomes, and then ponder if they've
been met and then to also have to ponder to what standard they've
been met, if they were. To me, reporting under OBE is horrendous.

But, which approach is better pedagogically I think is difficult to say.

Apologies if in saying this I step on any strongly held opinion. And if
so, I for one would love to hear your opinions re OBE v Curriculum.

Cheers,
Stephen