[English] Howard launches Donnelly

Mary Mason mary.mason at geelongcollege.vic.edu.au
Fri Feb 9 19:04:32 EST 2007

I can only feel despair when I read such terrible comments. If John Howard is as ill-informed about other topics as he is about education, roll on Kevin Rudd. This is lamentable as are the ideas of  Kevin Donnelly. What I object to  is the simplistic positioning by Donnelly of critical theory. I have always felt that Literature can be both critically appraised and enjoyed for its values. I might be able to see Lawrence's positioning of women but I can still enjoy and value the wonder of Sons and Lovers and perhaps enjoy it more because it is born out of a human and cultural context.

Mary Mason

>>> scott.bulfin at education.monash.edu.au 9/02/2007 3:37 pm >>>
Forgive me folks, but after throwing up all over my letterman sweater
and copy of Dumb and Dumber, I did a quick linguistic analysis of
this 'advertisement' late last night. A good one for the kids perhaps?

Standards (9)

Choice (7)

Parents (7)

Commonsense (3)

fads (3)

testing (3)

accountability (2)

robbing children (2)

unabashed supporter (2)

Speeches

TRANSCRIPT OF THE PRIME MINISTER
  THE HON JOHN HOWARD MP
DUMBING DOWN BY KEVIN DONNELLY BOOK LAUNCH,
PARLIAMENT HOUSE, CANBERRA

E&OE*

Thank you very much Sandy, Kevin Donnelly, Julie Bishop, my other
parliamentary colleagues, ladies and gentlemen. I am delighted to
accept the invitation to launch this book, both because I've greatly
respected the author as an individual and I've greatly admired his
persistent campaign for high basic standards (1) in Australia's
education system. For too long, the education debate has focussed
exclusively on inputs and quality, on money spent on student-teacher
ratios and the like. And this was the territory staked out and
defended fiercely by education producer groups, by the state
education bureaucracies, curriculum designers and the teacher unions.
Now, as a government, we will yield to nobody in defending our record
so far as the provision of resources to education is concerned. But
the point that Kevin has made and the point I make today has been,
and continues to be, to open up the education debate and to focus it
more squarely onto quality. And our great challenge as a nation is to
improve the quality of Australia's education system.

The high ground of school reform in Australia centres on three key
areas. Greater choice (1) and accountability (1), higher standards
(2) and greater national consistency. And when you have 80,000 school
students a year moving from one part of the country to the other, to
use the language of the young, the need for nationally consistent
curricula is indeed a no brainer; and those three things are the
foundations of a quality education system.

And it's into this realm of education quality that Kevin
Donnelly's work * and Dumbing Down is the latest example - has
been a beacon of commonsense, exposing many of the fads (1) and
politically-correct fashions that have found their way into
Australian schools.

Kevin Donnelly's book makes a very big point about the danger of so-
called 'progressive' theories and education fads (2). Where Big
Brother or a text message jostles with Shakespeare and classical
literature for a place in the English curriculum, we are robbing
children (1) of their cultural heritage.

By obfuscating the need for teachers to impart (1) specific knowledge
and for rigorous testing (1) of student achievement, we are robbing
children (2), especially disadvantaged children, of the one proven
path to individual achievement and social mobility. And by denying
parents clear statements of their child's performance in the
classroom we are letting new-age fads (3) get in the way of genuine
accountability (2).

As I said in my speech at the 50th anniversary of Quadrant last year,
few debates are as vital as those over education, whether it be in
upholding basic standards (3) on literacy and numeracy, promoting
diversity and choice (2) or challenging the incomprehensible sludge
that can find its way into some curriculum material.

I am an unabashed supporter of choice (3) for parents. As many of you
know, I am a product of the government education system in New South
Wales and I express my gratitude to the quality of that system when I
attending school in Sydney, for imparting (2), I hope, a strong basic
education to me. I believe therefore in a strong, well-funded and
academically rigorous government school system.

Yet I am a staunch defender of the right of parents to send their
child to a non-government school and to have the government support
them in that choice (4).

Choice (5) has intrinsic value in a free society, especially in an
area like education where we are dealing with the most important
decision parents have to make about their child's future.

I am also an unabashed supporter of what Kevin Donnelly calls a
'conservative approach to curriculum' * competitive
examinations, teacher-directed lessons and the importance of academic
disciplines.

I make no apologies for the fact that under my government the
Commonwealth has played a role in pushing the states and territories
on to higher ground on issues like standards (4), testing (2) and
plain English report cards in our schools.

High standards (5) can only be achieved if teachers have clear road
maps as to the knowledge and concepts to impart. Formal competitive
examinations are essential to assessing what a child has learned.

And there is something both deadening and saccharine in curriculum
documents where History is replaced by 'Time, Continuity and
Change' and Geography now becomes 'Place, Space and Environment'.

Experiments like 'Outcomes-Based Education', as Kevin Donnelly not
only argues, not only short-change parents and children, they also
put unjustified demands on teachers, with jargon-ridden curriculum
statements leaving teachers overwhelmed when it comes to what must be
taught and what standards (6) of student achievement are expected.

I would commend to all of you Kevin's work on the way in which the
teaching of English has been allowed in some cases to drift into a
relativist wasteland, where students are asked to deconstruct texts
using politically-correct theories in contrast with the traditional
view that great literature has something profound to say about the
human condition.

In tackling these issues, often against the grain of self-proclaimed
education 'experts', Kevin Donnelly displays both great courage
and a tough-minded determination to defend the higher purposes of
education, especially in carrying forward the best of the Western
cultural tradition.

There is, of course, a degree of irony in some recent comments about
the need for an education revolution in Australia, given the sorts of
ideological agenda that Kevin Donnelly explores in his book.

The key point is this * the Labor Party, leg-roped as it is to its
allies in the teacher unions is very much a 'Johnny-come-lately'
to the cause of commonsense education reform in support of parental
choice (6), higher standards (7) and sound curricula.

It was this Government's Schools Policy in 1996 * opposed by
Labor * which really opened up choice (7) for Australian parents by
facilitating the huge expansion in low-fee independent schools.

It was David Kemp more than anyone else who campaigned to put testing
(3) of basic literacy and numeracy on the national agenda. It was
Brendan Nelson who fought to ensure that Australian parents are given
plain English report cards and now Julie Bishop is taking forward a
new wave of school reforms in the areas of national consistency,
higher curriculum standards, principal autonomy and teacher quality.

Our goal is simple. We don't want uniformity, but we do want nation-
wide high standards (8) in schools to ensure every Australian student
receives the best possible foundation in core subjects.

Let me again in conclusion congratulate Kevin Donnelly on what is a
very thoughtful and important contribution to the debate on the
Australian education system. I wish the book well, I thank Kevin
Donnelly for his persistent advocacy of commonsense and standards (8)
in Australian education, it's a great cause and he deserves our
admiration and respect for engaging so energetically in it. Thank you.

[Ends]

http://www.mailguard.com.au/tt

https://login.mailguard.com.au/report/1rYHBKsFEs/5MVXFBFWEn8F6afyQQ1ILS/2.135

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error then please notify the sender immediately.  The contents represent the views or opinions of the author only and are not necessarily made on behalf of the School.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses; the School does not accept liability for any damage caused by a transmitted virus.

Message  protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering.
http://www.mailguard.com.au/tt