[English] SBS World News poll on a National Curriculum!

Ian Tymms TYMMI at woodleigh.vic.edu.au
Fri Feb 9 16:12:36 EST 2007

I've just been looking at the article and talking with colleagues about the way Howard is positioning education ahead of the election. Cynics argued that Bush went into Iraq to bolster his domestic popularity; is education Howard's Iraq? Projecting the analogy into the future is a bit scary.

Ian

>>> gillpm at mlc.vic.edu.au 09-Feb-07 2:34 pm >>>
Have you read about John Howard at the launch of Kevin Donelly's book? Today's Age. Utterly depressing. A head on attack on english teaching.

Which reminds me: a while ago (january) on this discussion list, Mary Mason was despairing about the lack of interest in professional renewal for english teachers, and about the need for VATE to become more politically sharp in the english  scene - leading community thinking rather than responding to spot fires. Yes, we all want this, but we need help to do it. If you have energy and ideas about how to tackle political issues in a constructive way, we would love to hear from you.

At the next curriculum committee meeting (Wednesday 14th at 6.00pm) we are thinking about the ESSENTIALS of an english curriculum - and how to talk about those essentials in the media. You are all invited to come.
Prue