[English] Ideas for a new anthology would be good

Jo McLeay jbmcleay at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 14:27:38 EST 2006

Are you also looking for unpublished writing or just
published writing. Could student writing be
considered? (I'm thinking secondary school students)?
cheers,
Jo

--- Margaret Zeegers <m.zeegers at ballarat.edu.au>
wrote:

> I have a couple of suggestions:
> The Prologue from Feral Kid (p. 7) as well as the
> chapter 26 'Morning'
> from the same book, pp 163-164 (part of a
> homelessness theme re place,
> and personal shaping
>
> I would also suggest any passage at all from Steven
> Herrick's 'By the
> River', but especially 'Sometime, someday' pp.
> 201-202 and 'The Big
> River', pp. 24-25
>
> Cheers
> mz
>
> Dr Margaret Zeegers
> Senior Lecturer
> School of Education
> University of Ballarat
> University Drive
> Mt Helen
> Victoria
> Australia, 3363
>
> Ph: + 61 3 5327 9327
> Fax: + 61 3 5327 9717
> email: m.zeegers at ballarat.edu.au

> 10/27/06 1:39 PM >>>
> Dear group
>
> I am hoping that some of you might be interested in
> helping with a
> project I'm currently managing.  Curriculum
> Corporation will be
> publishing the following in January 2008:
>
> The project is a collection of writing and art which
> has attempted to
> characterise Australians, a collection of text types
> which explore
> notions of Australian identity.  It will include a
> range of genres that
> are engaging for an upper secondary school audience
> (Year 11 - 12) as
> well as a general audience.
>

> The aim is to compile a collection of voices which
> are diverse,
> contradictory, provocative and, at times,
> complementary of each other.
> The text as a whole is designed to explore the
> notion of identity and,
> in particular, the conversations, past and present,
> that Australians
> have about who they are and what has shaped them as
> a people.  It will
> provide a richness of materials, speculative
> opportunities and space for
> reflection about this issue.   The themes are
> outlined at the end of the
> email.
>

> I would like some ideas from all of you as
> practising English teachers -
> do you have favourite pieces tucked away that we
> could use?  The text
> types are varied - poetry, extracts from novels,
> cartoons, essays,
> newspaper articles, artwork etc.
>

> We would pursue the copyright on anything you
> suggest that is selected.
> I'm afraid that there is only glory in the project,
> not money attached
> to helping but we will acknowledge your help.
>
> Any suggestions can be posted to me or emailed (if
> you have it in
> electronic form).  My mailing address is:
> Jill Wilson
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

Jo McLeay
The Open Classroom http://theopenclassroom.blogspot.com
Directory of Australian Edubloggers http://australianedubloggers.pbwiki.com
password: edubloggers

The cure for boredom is curiosity; there is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker