[English] Ideas for a new anthology would be good

Mary Mason mary.mason at geelongcollege.vic.edu.au
Fri Oct 27 14:14:41 EST 2006

I would love to help you but the last time I was on a group with
Curriculum Corporation to develop extracts for Civics, most of the
things I suggested were removed at the end because they did not follow
the right political line. I am sorry about this because I think I
suggested some good ideas about Australia but texts about the growth of
technology or the controversy around asylum seekers were seen to be too
threatening at that time. Can you assure me that has changed for this
collection?

Mary

Mary Mason
Director of Teaching and Learning

ph: (03) 52263157
mob: 0402022012
>>> jill.wilson at curriculum.edu.au 10/27/06 1:39 PM >>>
Dear group

I am hoping that some of you might be interested in helping with a
project I'm currently managing.  Curriculum Corporation will be
publishing the following in January 2008:

The project is a collection of writing and art which has attempted to
characterise Australians, a collection of text types which explore
notions of Australian identity.  It will include a range of genres that
are engaging for an upper secondary school audience (Year 11 - 12) as
well as a general audience.

The aim is to compile a collection of voices which are diverse,
contradictory, provocative and, at times, complementary of each other.
The text as a whole is designed to explore the notion of identity and,
in particular, the conversations, past and present, that Australians
have about who they are and what has shaped them as a people.  It will
provide a richness of materials, speculative opportunities and space for
reflection about this issue.   The themes are outlined at the end of the
email.

I would like some ideas from all of you as practising English teachers -
do you have favourite pieces tucked away that we could use?  The text
types are varied - poetry, extracts from novels, cartoons, essays,
newspaper articles, artwork etc.

We would pursue the copyright on anything you suggest that is selected.
I'm afraid that there is only glory in the project, not money attached
to helping but we will acknowledge your help.

Any suggestions can be posted to me or emailed (if you have it in
electronic form).  My mailing address is:
Jill Wilson
Curriculum Corporation
PO Box 177
Carlton South 3053

If you need an Express Post bag to help with this, just send me an email
with your mailing address.  It you sned anything, can you please attach
a copy of the publication details so we can chase copyright.

The collected voices are intended to produce an energetic and engaging
approach to being Australian.  The collection should be
non-stereotypical, focused on the contemporary as well as traditional
views of what it is to be Australian.  The collection should include
pieces which relate to and "speak to" each other as well as pieces which
problematise the content. As a text for English classrooms, the text
will range across modes of expression from fine literary writing to
pictures to pieces expressing strong arguments.

The intention is that school students emerge with:

*	interest in and increased understandings of how and why identity
is talked about and represented
*	some knowledge of traditional ways in which questions of
identity have been approached in Australia
*	awareness of competing, contradictory and contemporary views of
this topic.
*	having participated in discussions about contesting views of
what it is to be Australian
*	the joyful experience of experiencing good writing and finely
honed argument.

 The resource is intended to include content about the following:

Shapers of identity like:

*	The places "we" live: Landscapes - Eastern seaboard/vast empty
interior, urban landscapes, rural landscapes, the beach
*	Who are "we"?: People and events - Recent and past events which
have shaped attitudes and values, prominent Australians, Indigenous
people of Australia, immigrants to Australia

Expressions of identity like:

*	The way "we" talk about ourselves - How we are constructed by
and in the media -opinion, reflection and commentary, major political
speeches
*	How do "we" see ourselves? - depiction of Australia and
Australians in The Arts (literature, visual arts, music, television
shows and film)
*	The games we play - National pride in sporting achievement,
sporting events and their significance, sporting heroes
*	How  do "we" represent ourselves?: Icons as reflections of
Australian identity

Many thanks
Jill

Jill Wilson

Manager, Studies of Asia

Curriculum Corporation

Level 5 Casselden Place

2 Lonsdale Street

Melbourne 3000

Ph:  +613 9657 9773

Fax: +613 9639 1616

Fax: 1300 780 545 (within Australia Only)

Email: jill.wilson at curriculum.edu.au

Web Site: http://www.curriculum.edu.au <http://www.curriculum.edu.au/>

_________

This email and any files transmitted with it ("Email") is intended
solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be
confidential and also may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the Email to
the intended recipient, you are prohibited from disclosing, copying or
using the information contained in it or taking any action in reliance
upon it. If you have received this email in error, please notify
postmaster at curriculum.edu.au <mailto:postmaster at curriculum.edu.au>  by
return email and delete this Email from your computer.

This Email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not
necessarily reflect those of Curriculum Corporation except where the
sender expressly states otherwise.

It is your responsibility to scan this Email and any files transmitted
with it for viruses or any other defects.

Curriculum Corporation will not be liable for any loss, damage or
consequence caused directly or indirectly by this Email.

_________

--
Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content
filtering.

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error then please notify the sender immediately.  The contents represent the views or opinions of the author only and are not necessarily made on behalf of the School.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses; the School does not accept liability for any damage caused by a transmitted virus.