[English] Lemony Snicket

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun Oct 22 21:51:12 EST 2006

The New York Times today (free website registration)

'The End,' by Lemony Snicket
Review by HENRY ALFORD

This month, HarperCollins will be printing 2.5 million copies of "The
End," the final installment in the "Unfortunate Events" books by Lemony
Snicket, a k a Daniel Handler. If by this time you have not encountered
some form of Snicketiana, you are encouraged to saw through your manacle
and get out into the fresh air.

The formula of the books has been that the plucky Baudelaires, put in the
care of an inappropriate or strange guardian at a doom-tinged location
thence meet up with Olaf, who is trying to steal their inheritance. "The
End" is more suspenseful than the other books, largely because we want to
know if the vile Olaf will finally get his comeuppance, and whether there
is any more information about the Baudelaires' parents. (I could tell
you, but I risk being stabbed to death by a scrum of 2.5 million light
sabers and Popsicle sticks.) more ..
--

Regards all ..
Stephen Loosley