[English] PoLT Component 4

Janet McCurry jmccurry at sac.vic.edu.au
Wed May 31 18:07:09 EST 2006

>>> JMcCurry at sac.vic.edu.au 05/31/06 12:25 PM >>>
Using cartoons scaffolded with  three level guides is just the ticket for encouraging kids to think deeply about human experience andthe way this is represented in text.  (Political) Cartoons are such a concentrated form and the 3 level guide can be adapted so that the students are forced to be attentive to the details included in the image and bit by bit they are supported through literal, inferential and conceptual, so that they can complete a short piece of writing about the conceptual statement.  My version of a 3 level cartoon guide is attached: students have to identify whether the statements are true or false.  If false, the students rewrite them so that they're true.  (I often get the first and second categories confused but I really don't think that matters.)