[English] VELS PD

info at cpta.vic.edu.au info at cpta.vic.edu.au
Fri Jun 2 10:48:28 EST 2006

-These are fighting words Stephen about ICTEV and VITTA.  I 'll leave them to defend
themselves

 Couple of points. One,  SLAV has been doing a lot of work on integrating ICT into
learning. in conjunction with CC and off its own bat Two, I think the question of integrating
ICT into learning is the business of ALL the professional  teaching assocations because of
the emphasis the ICT domain in the Interdisciplinary strand puts on ICT for thinking, for
creating, for communicating. From an English/VATE perspective I think of the work Dean
Kiley ( and Jim Murphy), David Nettelbeck, Jo MacLeay, Natalie Bellis, Scott Bulfin, Greta
Caruso, Catherine Beavis, Illana Snyder, not to mention our internatioanl friends such as
Michele Knobel, Colin Lankshear, Julian Sefton Green,  Andrew Burn - all of whom
presented at the IFTE conference  in 2003 -  have done under VATE auspices already in
this area.  And VATE is at the moment considering a submission for the Victorian
Parliamentary Committee on Education and Training Inquiry into young people's use of
multimedia and digital literacies outside school and the implications that might have for
school curriculum and pedagogy. A paper i am currently reading is one written by
Johanna Wyn - who presented at the recent state conference -from Melbourne University
Youth research centre on the relationship between Young People, well being and
communication technologies - commissioned by the Victorian Health Promotion
Foundation which suggest the issue s is wider even than the concerns of professional
teaching associations  VATE's submission - and the research and practice base it alludes-
to will I hope eventually have a significant effect on the way DE&T thinks about the
implementation of the ICT domain  in VELS. Just as i hope the work Doug Mc Curry has
been doing on thinking processes thinking dispositions as Ron Ritchhart describes them-
alluded to the discussion list- will have a significant impact on the way in which the
Thinking processes domain is developed and elevates it about  just mucking about with
coloured hats, pleasant as that is.

Terry Hayes - in my capacity as VATE member and as Executive Officer for the Council of
Porfessional Teaching Associations (CPTAV)