[English] PoLT Component 4

Mary Mason mary.mason at geelongcollege.vic.edu.au
Fri Jun 2 07:50:58 EST 2006

Hi - can I recommend a fantastic web site. Project Zero - Ron Ritchhart
- which I think Doug's workshop was based on - from what I hear - has
developed a range of thinking routines which teachers start to embed in
the classroom. Such questions as 'Why do you say that". Check out the
site: http://www.pz.harvard.edu/Research/VisThink.htm

Cheers

Mary

>>> smith.david.m at edumail.vic.gov.au 1/06/2006 7:02 pm >>>
I went to an interesting workshop at the VATE conference abou thinking
dispositions run by Doug McCurry (related to Janet?).
One of the things he described was called a ProCon table. This is like
a list of arguments for and against a proposition, but requiring more
careful and open minded thinking.

It works as follows: a proposition is written at the top of the table.
Beneath this are two columns labelled Pro and Con. In the first row of
the pro column is listed a plausible argument supporting the
proposition.
Next to it, in the Con column is listed a plausible rebuttal of the Pro
argument (this is not a new argument against the proposition, but a
direct rebuttal of the first argument).

The process is repeated, this time with an argument against the
proposition placed in the Con column and a rebuttal of it in the Pro
column. The process continues until all possible arguments Pro & Con
have been listed along with their rebuttals.

It strikes me that this process should aid thinking that is thorough
and analytical. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how it will play
out. The problem I can see is that it focuses only on one proposition
where a topic such as colonistaion and globalisation may be more complex
and interconnected - perhaps a series of propositions may be needed, but
this could get tedious.

regards
Dave

Important -
This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in
error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using
attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss,
damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or
not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files
our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any
representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual
sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education &
Training.
--
Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and
content filtering.

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error then please notify the sender immediately.  The contents represent the views or opinions of the author only and are not necessarily made on behalf of the School.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses; the School does not accept liability for any damage caused by a transmitted virus.