[English] PoLT Component 4

Smith, David M smith.david.m at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Jun 1 19:02:50 EST 2006

I went to an interesting workshop at the VATE conference abou thinking dispositions run by Doug McCurry (related to Janet?).
One of the things he described was called a ProCon table. This is like a list of arguments for and against a proposition, but requiring more careful and open minded thinking.

It works as follows: a proposition is written at the top of the table. Beneath this are two columns labelled Pro and Con. In the first row of the pro column is listed a plausible argument supporting the proposition.
Next to it, in the Con column is listed a plausible rebuttal of the Pro argument (this is not a new argument against the proposition, but a direct rebuttal of the first argument).

The process is repeated, this time with an argument against the proposition placed in the Con column and a rebuttal of it in the Pro column. The process continues until all possible arguments Pro & Con have been listed along with their rebuttals.

It strikes me that this process should aid thinking that is thorough and analytical. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how it will play out. The problem I can see is that it focuses only on one proposition where a topic such as colonistaion and globalisation may be more complex and interconnected - perhaps a series of propositions may be needed, but this could get tedious.

regards
Dave

Important -