[elearning] Query on iPad research

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 17:23:16 EST 2012

I recall Richard Olson during an Edtech Crew podcast noted that we
need to be keenly aware that student needs will eventually shift
towards more powerful devices. My thinking was that by VCE some would
eventually decide to use more powerful laptops. Each could pick what
would best suits their study, needs or budget .. or perhaps to not
pick one. I can imagine that many could still rely on their old junior
school iPad (or smart phone) for mLearning, personal organisation and
reading etc. I like how this NZ school is handling it. There are
others I can dig up and share if you like.
     http://www.kristin.school.nz/web/portal/ict-services/digital-learning-programmes

If we accept that different streams of students at the senior levels
will have different needs, we should not try to resolve this with a
single package to fix and accept that in the following year, we should
have prepared them for the digital citizenship and independence of
learning and working whilst away from a single corporate network.
Maybe the iPads presents us with the right timing and opportunity to
finally allow students to manage their devices and develop their
skills as independent and responsible learners if they eventually step
up to their own powerful device.
     http://ipadeducators.ning.com/profiles/blogs/device-control

Regards Roland

On 5 September 2012 22:47, Kevork Krozian <kevork at edulists.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
>  A typo below. Unanimous choice for learning, studying and interacting by
> the Yr 12s was the laptop/MacBook. None favoured the iPad.
>

> Kevork Krozian
> Edulists Creator Administrator
> www.edulists.com.au
> tel: 0419 356 034

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead