[elearning] iPad Resources for Administrators

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 10:40:43 EST 2011

Yes, Dropbox is awesome. I got into using it with my year 12 students late
last year and now with the family. I now use it for my bulk of work between
school and home as it practically seamlessly shuffles files between all my
different devices (iPad, laptop, desktop, win/osx/linux) instead of using a
USB key. I agree, the size and HUGE battery life is a big advantage. I
started telling some kids, "just leave the charger at home". Incidentally,
you can further integrate Moodle 2.0 with Dropbox.
     http://www.moodleblog.org/?p=375

Ultimately, I am curious if we collapse back to a touch-tablet friendly
HTML5 browser and a suite of apps build around the Apple store and Android.
My thoughts are that these will be the only two winner I am not sure why
DEECD are so slow at updating their website info. We are clearly getting
conflicting information. Next year Westall will have a third of the school
(years 7 and 8) blanketted with iPads. Ironically, with the recent theft of
a an entire lab of desktops at the school (on my last day aghhhh!!!) .. they
will probably just replace these with another iPad fleet .. year 9?

Regards Roland

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Kevork Krozian <kevork at edulists.com.au>wrote:

> Hey Roland,
>

> Glad to see the support building fast for the iPad and relatives. One of
> the snags is storage and the constant emailing back and forth.
>
> I do like the Dropbox , GoDocs for Google Docs ($3.95 ) or the
> QuickOfficeConnect ($19.95 ) for MS  Office compatibility, ick Graph as a
> graphing calculator.
>
> This will quickly strengthen the case for the use of iPads in the
> classroom.
>
> We just need html5 to the rescue to close the gap with Flash and java sites
> that iPads are not ready for.
>
> The race is on for the competing iPad type devices to deliver maximum
> functionality . The Green Guide had a number of articles around Nov/Dec
> comparing the various devices and the rapid improvements in each .
>
> The slim form and long battery life is very attractive for students and
> with the fast improvements a competitive environment delivers will mean a
> win win for all our students.
>
> Just one snag – they don’t count as computers in the NSSCF rollout .....
> for DEECD purposes at least.
>

> Speak soon
>
> Kevork Krozian
>
> Edulists Creator Administrator
>
> www.edulists.com.au
>
> tel: 0419 356 034

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College