[elearning] Question and Answer sites (e.g. stackoverflow)

Victor Rajewski victor.rajewski at jmss.vic.edu.au
Fri Nov 19 11:05:48 EST 2010

Hi Folks,

I'm curious if anybody has used any sites or services such as stackoverflow
for educational purposes. Stackoverflow is a community driven
question-and-answer site for programming questions, but has spawned a number
of offshoots. Users get points for different types of activity (posting,
commenting, answering, voting), and can use accumulated points for
'bounties' on their questions (and a warm fuzzy feeling inside). Somewhat
like a forum, but with a bit more of a social aspect, and reward aspect.

If so, what have people's experiences been?

I'm going to introduce such a service to our school for next year (I'm using
the OSQA system to run such a site locally) to see what happens - some
faculties have been successfully subject-specific helpdesk-type forums this
year, so this might replace them if things go well. I'm also hoping it will
work alongside the other IT helpdesk resources.

There is a proposed site like this for pedagogy at the stack exchange
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/23685/pedagogy - have a look and
vote for it if you think it would be useful.

Victor Rajewski
IT Manager
John Monash Science School
+61 3 9902 9828