[elearning] new computer lab - ideas?

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 22:29:24 EST 2010

 Cameron makes a good point. Weaving this into an existing classroom is
probably the way to go. The laptop trolleys are often good for both secure
storage and charging, for now some desktops have a place.

I saw some great stuff on the ACEC2008 study tour in NZ. At a cool primary
school there, they had a mix of different systems. Some permanent iMac
desktops in a corner, a larger collection of Macbook laptops in a trolley
that they used in the other central classroom spaces, even outside. The cool
thing was watching all the different learning happening at different
stations around the room, with different tools and strategies and learning
how they share the portable items between neighbouring classrooms. My guess
is that if I headed back there now, they would probably be doing the same
thing with the addition of some iTouches / iPads / flip cameras to the mix.
The important thing is the creative space around this technology, a space to
think, reflect, build, design, laugh and reflect. You wont get that with
just hardware. For inspiration, just check out some of the really fun spaces
that Google built into their HQ for meetings. Cool :-)
     http://www.google.com.au/images?q=google+hq+meeting+room

Regard Roland

PS: I am not primary trained and will leave this for my more experienced
primary friends to contribute ..

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au