[elearning] netbooks and tablets

Jim Maunder Techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Fri Jun 18 08:52:44 EST 2010

Hello All -

I think the comments below the zdnet article are just as enlightening as the article. The 2 Rainyday links are from one of the comments (but note it is from a Rainyday employee/intern).

If you look at the chart in the Forrester report one can see that it predicts the growth in sales of iPad style tablets at the expense of desktops. It seems to me that since the majority of desktop sales are for commercial use it's hard to see the office computer being replaced by anything except a big, heavy laptop. As a laptop technician I have my pick of a range of laptops and 'convertible' tablets, but I use a desktop for day to day use. However, the great majority of teachers with POR here use their subsidised 'convertible' tablets for day to day use, and as you know, they do just as much keyboard work as any office worker.

The Forrester report: http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/17/forrester-tablets-outsell-netbooks/

Rainyday No 1: http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2010/RainyDayEngineering/Week15/RDEApr0510.htm
Rainyday No 2: http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2010/RainyDayEngineering/Week19/RDEMay0610.htm#PerfectTablet
(unlike Bob*, there is no RainyDay (Woman) No 3)

rgds
Jim
(did I mention I'm retiring in 3 weeks?)

* Bob Dylan, whoever he was.

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Laptop Technician
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia
ph 9290 9374

>>> Roland Gesthuizen <rgesthuizen at gmail.com> 18/06/2010 7:18 AM >>>
Interesting to read many forecasts that tablet computers will outsell netbooks in a couple of years.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/tablets-to-outsell-netbooks-by-2012-report-says/15708

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead