[elearning] [Year 12 IT Apps] [OT] Are iPads 'computers'?

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 19:33:27 EST 2010

G"day Kevork,

We were told we could buy iPads under the NSSCF funding .. not sure if this
is because we are an iPad pilot school. Odd, maybe the advice hasnt trickled
down or website updated. Its that time of the year with many waiting to meet
the new minister etc. This term break we are decking out our admin team with
the 3G models. You will be surprised by the list of schools about to kick
this off at the start of next year.

I agree that tablet computers have some content creation limitations (just
give it time) but they hit a six for many of the things that netbooks try to
do. The iPad is no netbook killer but I am increasingly convinced that it is
a much better classroom fit including huge 10 hour battery life, small size,
instant on (and off), intuitive interface and centralised software
repository (ala Ubuntu)
(reference<http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=5763&tag=content;leftCol>
)

Here is an interesting observation. At a glance I can see what students are
doing on their iPads and for them to swing or pass the units around to
eyeball. An interesting addon I have seen a protective case that doubles as
a stand or wirelss keyboard .. cute :-)

Regards Roland