[elearning] [Year 12 IT Apps] [OT] Are iPads 'computers'?

Kevork Krozian K.Krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
Fri Dec 10 12:19:48 EST 2010

Hi Folks,

 This may be topical as I thought Ipads are considered to be computers under NSSCF funding , but apparently they are not.
The email below ( at the bottom by Andrew Weir ) suggests DEEWR considers Ipads as computers for NSSCF funding, but the following suggests it is not (https://edugate.eduweb.vic.gov.au/Services/IT/ITSupport/Lists/NSSCF%20FAQs/DispForm.aspx?ID=38&Source=https%3A%2F%2Fedugate%2Eeduweb%2Evic%2Egov%2Eau%2FServices%2FIT%2FITSupport%2FPages%2FNSSCF%2Easpx ) - need an edumail account to view the link :

Question

Can schools purchase Apple iPads using funds provided through the NSSCF?

Answer

No.

The iPad is not an approved device on DEECD's purchasing panels as the iPad does not support the eduSTAR standard operating environment which includes more than 60 teaching and learning applications and tools.

DEECD is undertaking an iPad trial for middle year levels in 8 Victorian Government schools to evaluate the potential of the iPad as a learning tool. The DEECD iPad Trial will be conducted over the next 18 months and research results will inform any future technology directions that can enhance teaching and learning outcomes.

Category

Purchasing

Where are we at with this ?

Kind Regards