[elearning] No emotional connection = No learning

Briant, Stephen L briant.stephen.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Dec 23 14:35:46 EST 2008

Oh, and here is one from me: http://www.jiscinfonet.ac.uk/e-portfolios/
Merry Xmas!

From: elearning-bounces at edulists.com.au
[mailto:elearning-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Roland
Gesthuizen
Sent: Tuesday, 23 December 2008 2:28 PM
To: eLearning mailing list; Year 7 - 10 IT Mailing List
Subject: [elearning] No emotional connection = No learning

Here is an interesting angle on eLearning that I picked up from this
2007 blog post

<http://web.me.com/timholt/Intended_Consequenses/Intended_Consequences_B
log/Entries/2007/6/15_Not_Invited_to_the_Buffet.html#comment_37A1291C_01
13_1000_81B7_CEEB57893D05>

As we bore our students by teaching with 19th century techniques and
refuse to invite them to be part of the 12st century discussion about
their learning, they "emotionally move away from learning and we
disinvite them from process." No emotional connection = No learning.

With Moodle, I get my students to grade my questions and activities. I
also openly solicit their feedback in a discussion forum. I am
passionate about my year 9 Research Science course and share this with
my students. I even recall a decade ago running a series of staff and
student focus groups to help me define and describe the kind of 'next
millennium' infrastructure we expected from our computer network.
Following an invitation, we  forwarded this onto Paul Dougherty, the
then Education Department IT division head.

Do we currently engage students and staff in wider discussions about how
eLearning should be implemented and adapted? When I consider the current
blind push to deploy a commercial Ultranet solution, I am now not
surprised that there is no real emotional connection and ownership.
Although it is interesting to read reports of implementing pilot school
reports, nothing beats asking grass root users what they think to
develop a sense of ownership in order to build an emotional connection.
This would have been easy to do but seems to have been ignored.

Perhaps like some of our students, we have been disinvited from the
decision making process.

What do others think?

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
Mead
Authority and
http://www.vitta.org.au - VITTA Victorian Information Technology
Teachers Association Inc