[elearning] Internet Costs at School

Russell Curr RUSSELL at avila.vic.edu.au
Fri Aug 24 15:53:43 EST 2007

Neil,

We have a slow 1500/256 adsl link with iiNet, with a monthly quota of 90 gig. This is adequate since we use Papercut to control how much students can download - its an automatic process, simple to manage, and we allocate the 25 meg per week.

The big disadvanage is a 1500 kbs link is too slow.  We are looking at installing 2 x adsl lines, changing to Internode, which will give a faster link (up to a theoretical 8meg) and then balancing traffic between the 2 lines.  This is a very cheap solution and will cost approx. $300 per month (with a monthly quota of 80 gig).  Currently we only pay $149 per month, and we dont ever exceed oour quota - but we live with a slow link!

cheers
Russell

Russell Curr
Network Manager
Avila College
Ph: 9831-9645
Fax: 03-9888-1202
email: russell at avila.vic.edu.au

>>> neil at norwood.vic.edu.au 08/24/07 2:48 pm >>>
Our costs have gone nuts this month too - again, anonymous proxies.

Russell - who is your provider, and what do they charge you per meg?  We are
with SINA and the schools cops 9c per meg traffic charge. I budget about
$15000 traffic charge per year, and often exceed this (1500 per month, exc
January, most of holidays and a lot of December).

We use ShapeShifter on a Novell BorderManager to throttle our port 80
bandwidth but still get excessive charges through peer to peer and streams
that are not properly disconnected.  Our ISP does the accounting and I am
not convinced that their accounting is accurate.

Can anyone else share their costs management strategy, and perhaps the way
they charge students?

Regards

Neil Wallace
Norwood Secondary College