[CS4HS] BBC News - School ICT to be replaced by computer science programme

Therese Keane TKEANE at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Thu Jan 12 10:56:48 EST 2012

Happy New Year!

For those of you who are back at work - you might want to have a look at this link -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jan/10/computer-science-in-schools-scotland?CMP=twt_gu

This article states that Scotland is leading the way in teaching students about Computing.

and a further link -  http://www.computingatschool.org.uk/

A body called "Computing in schools" is aiming to promote the teaching of computing in schools in the UK. Feel free to join the organization if you want!

Cheers
Therese

Dr Therese Keane
Lecturer/Developer
Educational Technologies
Faculty of ICT
Room : TD323
Phone: (+613) 9214 8579
Fax: (+613) 9819 0823

Twitter: #SwinEdTech

Swinburne University ,
PO Box 218 Hawthorn,
Victoria 3122 AUSTRALIA

www.ict.swin.edu.au/ictstaff/tkeane

>>> Roland Gesthuizen <rgesthuizen at gmail.com> 1/12/2012 12:14 AM >>>

Reading here about how the UK is planning to increase computer programming in schools. It is food for thought, how we currently teach computational thinking or programming in Victorian schools at the junior and senior levels. Interested in your thoughts.      https://plus.google.com/101425432113707315497/posts/H7KpYkjQWoa Regards Roland
Quotes:

BBC News - School ICT to be replaced by computer science programme ( http://diigo.com/0mdel )

"Instead of children bored out of their minds being taught how to use Word or Excel by bored teachers, we could have 11-year-olds able to write simple 2D computer animations," he said.

"Children are being forced to learn how to use applications, rather than to make them. They are becoming slaves to the user interface and are totally bored by it,"

This message was sent to you by Roland Gesthuizen ( http://www.diigo.com/profile/rgesthuizen ) via Diigo