[CS4HS] Proposal for a 5/6 study

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:18:07 EST 2011

Sounds like a great idea Phil, glad your crew is lending their support to
this.

If you don't mind, I'll mention it at the ICTEV dinner tonight and suggest
something similar. A bi-partisan position would lend you further support
towards the goal of ICT education in Victoria.

Regards Roland

On 30 November 2011 14:39, PC <pcallil at me.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thank you for this.  The VITTA Committee of Management has a 2012 Planning
> Day meeting this weekend.  Are you comfortable with the idea that I table
> the proposal as a draft for consideration?  I'm sure the proposal will be
> one that will one that will promote valuable discussion both as Unit 5/6
> proposal but also of computational thinking in the earlier curriculum.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Phil
>

> Phil Callil
> President and Conference Director 2012
> Victorian IT Teachers Association (VITTA)
> Australia's largest IT in Education organization
> www.vitta.org.au
>

> On 30/11/11 11:54 AM, "Steven Bird" <sb at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>
> >Dear workshop participants,
> >
> >Thanks for making last week's CS4HS workshop a success!  The
> >presentations and discussions were all really stimulating and
> >productive.  As we reflected on the workshop today, we sensed a real
> >consensus amongst this group that the present state of affairs with IT
> >in the secondary curriculum is in need of renewal, and that we are on
> >the cusp of something quite new and exciting.  There was unanimity in
> >wanting to inject the curriculum with rigorous computational content,
> >and we want to define challenging and meaningful standards for
> >computational thinking in which the curriculum itself is the driver,
> >rather than the technical prowess of particular teachers and students.
> >
> >We think that the workshop format is a good one, and propose a
> >follow-up workshop early in first semester of 2012 to keep up the
> >momentum.  In particular, we would like to explore the possibility of
> >a unit 5 and 6 study in Computer Science, and are starting to talk
> >with the VCAA senior management to seek their backing and lay out a
> >consultative process that could lead to a new secondary curriculum of
> >the kind we have been discussing.
> >
> >The proposal for a new study at the 5/6 level is based on the
> >following considerations:
> >
> >* The Minister of Education's announcement (today), that he has "asked
> >the VCAA to accelerate the development of a new VCE study that will
> >provide students with the opportunity to conduct independent extended
> >research and to work with our universities to investigate new forms of
> >extension studies for our brightest students", and his challenge that:
> >"ICT should be used to build the 21st century capabilities our
> >students will require -- to go beyond given information, to give
> >opportunities to use higher order thinking skills, real time analysis,
> >and predictive and modelling activities" (Victoria as a Learning
> >Community, State of Victoria 2011)
> >
> >* The need to avoid the politics of the national curriculum including
> >uncertainties with the timeline (potentially 2016 before the
> >implementation of a senior secondary curriculum).  We don't need to
> >wait and see, but instead we can work directly with VCAA, and develop
> [...]

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
Mead