[Cisco] discovery 3-4

Robert Bernard RBernard at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Wed Jul 15 19:33:14 EST 2009

Dear Jim

I will give you as much private personal feedback as I can from my point of view.  (These notes rea not for public viewing).  As a a TAFE college, we made our decision for 'Exploration' for reasons that I will elucidate.  I also teach this in our Higher-Ed. division a little (for Degree and Masters programs).

1.  Our TAFE Exploration Pass-Mark is 75% (unchanged from the old program).
2.  We teach Exploration 1-4 (our first group of 3/4 students currently is in train).

3.  Our pass-rate (Exploration 1/2) seems substantially unchanged from the previous program.  With no ACLs, but a few clearer routing knowledges, our Cisco2 seems, if anything, a little easier in the 'Skills' (both for students and teachers).

4.  Since our Higher-Ed. section only run Exploration, we cannot get reasonable exemptions for our students with Discovery (at all!)  hence our only real option is Exploration.

5.  The GUARANTEED EXEMPTIONS from Higher-Ed. for Exploration outcomes is viewed as HIGHLY attractive by our students (many of whom imagine themselves as Higher-Ed. students later, and see our Exploration program as a MUCH cheaper way of doing these subjects).

6.  One (TAFE Diploma) Senate meeting that I attended some time ago quoted (by Sean) Exploration and Discovery take-up in the schools programs as roughly 50% each at that time.  I suggest that the schools were contrasting perceived difficulty of programs against acceptability for Higher-Ed. programs. I do not have more recent figures.

7.  After teaching Discovery at the early levels, I was that appalled with the teaching suitability of the notes that I wish never again to be involved with it.  (I suggest that buzz-words like 'Holistic Learning' are just a cover-up for poor ability to provide coherent, well-sequenced instruction.  And as for MultiCasting MAC addresses for beginners who do not know yet how to subnet .....)

8.  We toyed with the idea of a 'Discovery 1+2', followed by Exploration 2/3/4 as a teaching sequence, but eventually buried it as a poor concept.  (It had the advantage of a 'networks for Dummies' Discovery1 delivery for some poorer groups, but the outcome was so feeble that we reasoned 'what is the point?').

Does all this help you in reaching a conclusion?  Cheers!  Rob B.

Regards    - Rob B.

Robert Bernard
TAFE School of Eng.
  Room  TB213  (TAFE-B)
  61 (03)  9214 8464
c/o Swinburne University
      (Internal Mail #H27)
      PO Box 218, Hawthorn
      Australia,  3122

Think our staff are great?  Tell us:
http://www.tafe.swin.edu.au/eng/staffrec.php

Achieving your goals? Or still thinking about them?
A large range of TAFE, Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses across our five campuses are available for direct entry for Semester 2 commencement. To find out more about starting your studies at Mid-year, attend Swinburne's Mid-year Information Evening on Wednesday 3 June, 5.30-8.30pm, Hawthorn campus or our Return To Study Information session, Lilydale campus. Registrations are essential.

Visit the Mid-year website at www.swinburne.edu.au/midyear or call 1300 ASK SWIN (1300 275 794) for more information.

>>> "Jim Bunn" <bunn.jim.c at edumail.vic.gov.au> 7/15/2009 2:34 pm >>>

Hi everyone,

My school has a Cisco class this year, after a 2 year break (due to low student choice). We have chosen to go with  Discovery. Most of my students are through to Discovery 2. My question is whether your Academies have/are offering Discovery 3 and 4. It has been suggested to me that it may be too rigorous for high school students. I'm of two minds as to whether the material will be too difficult for my students. I'd appreciate knowing what other school Academies are doing.

Also, I'm curious as to the pass rate for your Academies. We have been going with a 70% final exam and 70% overall average for a pass.

Thanks for your input and suggestions,

Jim

Jim Bunn

Technology Coordinator
Hampton Park Secondary College
8795 9400
CCAI CCNA ITE1

bunn.jim.c at edumail.vic.gov.au

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development._______________________________________________
Cisco Mailing List kindly supported by
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vet/programs/cisco/cisco.html - Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority