[Cisco] Sticky vs non sticky port security problem on 2950 switches

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Fri May 5 12:47:05 EST 2006

Hi Friends,

    Semester 3, Module 6 lab 6.2.5 requires port security to be configured.
Specifically , Item 9b requires the following 3 commands:
      (i) switchport mode access
      (ii) switchport port-security
      (iii) switchport port-security mac-address sticky

    Now this last command works on one of our 2950 switches and not the other.
 At first I thought the issues might be the IOS version. So, investigating the IOS on each the results were:

    1)  The sticky (works on switch) had IOS ver c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-6.EA2c  and the
    2) Non sticky ( does not work on switch ) had IOS ver c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA2

   On a first observation the working one is 121-6 and the non working one is 121-22. So it seemed what appeared a newer version was not working. Not deterred, I got the students to save the non-working switch's IOS to a tftp server and copied in the working version onto the switch.  After reloading , it still did not work after confirming the updated IOS was in fact running on the switch.

 So, do any of my expert colleagues out there have any ideas ???

Best Wishes

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au