[Cisco] Semester 1 (difficulty of version 3 course)

Rob Bernard RBernard at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Mon Jun 20 15:11:24 EST 2005

Dear All

Here is an outline of how we make it work.  Perhaps you can interpret what you can for your own situation.

At Swinburne TAFE we put off the training of Cisco1 & 2 till after doing first year of the Advanced Diploma of Computer Systems.  The issue to sequencing of knowledges here is that these students now have priors in Digital Electronics, PC Installation. LANs theory and Data Comms (all of which contain keys to fundamental concepts covered in Cisco1).  They thus seem to view Cisco1 as more a 'levelling exercise', though they still struggle with it.

Cisco 2 is their first real challenge, but is not unobtainable given their (now) priors in the above, and in Unix/Linux/etc.  It is a good prep for the real killer in Cisco3.

However we reserve Cisco3/4 till last Semester, thus giving them maximum theory boost from other subjects, particularly before coming to terms with VLANs, VLSM, NAT, DHCP, etc.  Even so, the Cisco3 Skills-Test is a notorious 'Killing-Field'.  It seems to function rather well as a filter for students who have 'under-achieved' when doing their pracs and on-line tests (or, perish-forbid, who cheated their way through).

Cisco3 & 4 is also the area where we have had to spend most on adequate equipment (by far), and hence this would be a 'crunch' area for any Academy that did not have many (modern) Routers and Switches to offer (and Technical Support for same).  We have about 20 Routers all-up (though substantial limitations apply to what can be used with what).  We also have 7 modern Switching-Hubs (and, of course, more Contention-Hubs).

We also run after-hours open-access times (unofficially) for Cisco classes, particularly for Cisco3/4 students, allowing them private time to explore gear setups and to prepare for the Skills-Tests.  Needless to say, our gear is all security-bolted-down, and the Patch-Cord system has been so designed that any of the (expensive) cords 'nicked' would be of little use elsewhere.

You are welcome, if you want, to come down and have a look at our Classroom Management methods.  (We would appreciate hearing of any other systems that you have developed too).

We also feel that it is important for all our Cisco staff to have experience of work elsewhere in other Academies, as a deliberate attempt to see what is done better elsewhere.  This has helped to 'fertelise' our methods on may occasions, and we have offered advice for improvements elsewhere when we could.

As a quick coping technique for the problem that you have described, have you considered offering just Cisco1 & 2 (as you described), for a profitable large class, and then directing the (reduced numbers of) graduates off to a 'finishing school' with which you have done a deal.   (That school could collect multiple small groups of students and run them in a single class, at a profit).

A number of local TAFE Academies exist that would probably suit this purpose.

Regards    - Rob B.

>>> Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au 06/20/05 10:21 am >>>
Hi folks,

 I too found the Semester 1 course very demanding on my students but I don't think it was because the course is too hard , rather that I had 6 Year 10s and 2 Year 11s in my class of 8 students and whilst motivated, they did not realise what it means to work hard and prepare adequately for chapter and theory exams.

 It was becoming rather ridiculous at one point where I was preparing 3 worksheets per module:
   1. Questions about concepts from each slide so they had to explain in their own words.
   2. About 120 True/False questions by picking apart almost every statement in the module curriculum notes
   3. Multiple choice questions from the back of the text book and other sources

 It didn't seem to matter whether I did 4 hours or 14 hours of work per module for them. If they didn't put in the effort, they weren't going to make the grade. So, I made it clear what I expected and now they know.
 The final results showed about half who made it comfortably ( 85% - 90 % in theory and 95% - 100% in lab exams )  the other half just scraped through.
 I then had a talk to tell them that they would stand or fall on their own performance and if it did not lift by the end of semester 2, I would not accept them in my class for Semester 3 and 4 next year by recommending they not do the course after this year. I also indicated that they would select/deselect themselves based on their own performance.
 Now, they all want to do CCNA 3 - 4 so it remains to be seen if their performance lifts adequately by year's end.

I would be interested to see what numbers of CCNA 1-2 students are out there in schools this year.
BTW we have a CCNA 3-4 class of 3 students who are doing really well averaging 95% for all assessment as they seem to have turned the corner and really want to do well. I guess it shows, students can rise to the expectation of the teacher if they firstly have some talent and motivation.

Best Wishes
Kevork
Forest Hill College

Rob Bernard
E&E Dept. (TAFE-Hawthorn)
Swinburne Uni (Mail #H47)
P.O. Box 218
Hawthorn, Vic.  3122
Ph.  61 (03) 9214 8464

>>> spencer.stephen.e at edumail.vic.gov.au 06/17/05 12:21pm >>>
Hi All,
Jim Bunn has raised the issue of the difficulty of the version 3 course.
This is part of the reason why many local academies have closed.
At Mill Park Secondary College I am teaching Units 3 and 4 to my year 12
class but will only teach Semesters 1 and 2 to the new year 11 group.
This year I am teaching Semester one for the whole year for my year 11
class. I have found this a much improved experience over teaching
Semesters 1 and 2 in year 11. I can spend much more time with activities
to help students understand the curriculum, and have found time for many
more pracs. I have also had time to introduce them to IP addressing
which has allowed networking pracs. We will be doing the Module 6 exam
next Monday!
I will not be sure that the two semester course is an improvement until
the end of the year, but I expect that all or most will achieve the 70%
at the end of the Semester.
There are a few disadvantages to this arrangement. Students will be
disadvantaged if they do not take Semester 2 in year 12. As well they
will not be exposed to the Semester 3 and 4 curriculum. I have made it
clear to my year 11 students that they must commit to Semester 2 in year
12. As well I plan to briefly introduce them to the more interesting
Semester 3 and 4 issues, such as VLSM, CIDR, NAT and VLANS, so that they
will be aware of some more advanced issues but will not have to study
them in detail.

Stephen Spencer
(Mill Park Secondary College)

Important -