[Cisco] Local vs Remote vs Late Collisions -- calling all experts

Jose Straube J.Straube at bhtafe.edu.au
Wed Apr 27 16:29:09 EST 2005

Hi Kevork,

Here you have my 2 cents worth of thought.

"The question is :  Is the sending machine still transmitting for a
remote collision to occur? "

Yes, the 2 machines are still sending (within the first 64 octects)

"If not, then is it not a Late collision?"

No, because it will be detected within the 64 octets.

"Also, how can the sending machine know there was a remote collision ?
Does it get fragments of the collision back across the repeater with the
FCS not matching ?"

Two scenarios:
1)Let's assume machine A and machine B are separated by a repeater.

A ------ R ----xxx-- B

In here we see that the remote collision for A (represented by xxx) is
also a local collision for B. When B detects the collision it sends a
Jamming signal (which is repeated) that can be detected by A which will
in turn also send the Jamming signal.

2) Let's now assume 3 repeaters in the logical segment (worst case
scenario).

A ------ R ------ R ---xxx--- R ------ B

In this case the collision is remote to both sources. A or B can only
detect the collision by checking the FCS (which in any case will be
incorrect) of the received frame. In this case you could say that the
collision can also be seen as 'Late' collision due to the fact that the
FCS is at the end of the frame.

"and does that happen before the 64 bytes slot time is exhausted ?"

Please refer to the previous answer.

I hope it helps to clarify a bit.

Regards,
Straube